Friday 24 February 2012

Roasted Chickpeas

ok, so you probably saw the titles of this blog and were like "what the heck??". Yup. I thought that too when I first saw this little idea on Pinterest. Lately I've been trying to eat more healthy. No sugar. No dairy. No meat. No coffee!!! (i know...that one is the hardest, especially when i wake up in the morning to the smell of coffee brewing in my flatmates brand new percolator!) So basically I'm going vegan for three weeks, to try change my eating habits to more healthier ones. I've been at it for a lil over 2 weeks now, and so far I've lost bout 2kgs. Its been really good because its taught me to snack on fruit instead of satisfying my sweet tooth. But I've also been wondering what other snacks I can make that are healthy and yum, so when i saw "roasted chickpeas" on Pinterest, I thought I'd give it a go. Plus so many people were raving about how good they were.


So first of all I drained the chickpeas from the can and rinsed them under water. I then put them on a paper towel to get rid of some of the moisture, then put them on a tray on some baking paper. Pour some oil over top and then kinda move them around to make sure they all get oil on them. I put them in the oven at 180degrees for around 40mins. You can tell when they are cooked when they brown up and start splitting. 
I then decided to flavor them with some half a teaspoon each on curry powder, garam masala, and cumin, but I think it was a bit too much spice for the amount of chickpeas I had so next time i would do less. 
Surprisingly they weren't too bad! I probably wouldn't go to town raving about them, but they make a nice, healthy snack and are super easy and cheap to make. They are definitely not as good the next day though.
Heres another snack idea I tried out! Fruit popsicles!!! Cut up some fresh fruit and put it in some popsicle moulds, then pour in fruit juice! Yum! How cute are these guitar popsicles??




1 comment:

  1. Fun! Love the guitar popsicles! Oh no coffee! I admire you! That is too mauch at once for me to cut out I would probably have epic withdrawls!

    ReplyDelete